Thursday, January 31, 2013

Takeaways From Exodus 4-6

So much stuff in these three chapters!  The big takeaways I had were:

1. Moses blatantly doubted God. Just put his concerns and incredulity out there!  I just recently began bringing doubts and questions to God. Most my life I thought it seemed disrespectful, but really?  Who did I think I was kidding??  God knows our hearts, which I'm eternally grateful for since half the time my prayers go something like this, "Augh!  God!  I don't even know what to say!  I mean, you know what I'm trying to say here, right?!"  So why bother "hiding" doubts from him?  Pointless. But still scary to do it, so I have to give Moses props for laying it all out there.

2.  Ohmygoodness.  Moses does not want this gig!  Could he try any harder to squirm out of this?  Besides the concerns he mentions about the Israelites not believing him, there are the three, count 'em, three! times he explains his "faltering lips."  Maybe God just can't take a hint. So Moses flat-out asks that he send someone else. God doesn't budge. When he has a person in mind for a particular job there is no talking him out of it and I love that. I love that God pushes (shoves?) us out of our comfort zones.  That he gives us free will, but if we try to ignore his plan he'll bug us until its easier to just do it.

3.  Do we need to talk about how God was going to kill Moses all of a sudden there in chapter 4 for not circumcising his son?  Were you just as taken aback as I?  Surprises around ever corner in this Bible of ours!

No comments: