Saturday, January 5, 2013

Job 6-13


I started reorganizing my guest room today.  It was just fine before I started, but I want it to be better, and today was the day I felt moved to get going on it.  When my husband came home I explained what I had been doing; I began, “I started cleaning out the guest room” (he barely heard me).  “You know how sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better?”  (He looked up, “No.”)  “Yes!”  I said, “Yes, that’s how it works and that’s where we are with the guest room.”  (Here I’m giving my biggest, most charming smile to no avail.)
Job, Job, Job.  Life is just going to get worse before it gets better, isn’t it?  His other friends have chimed in now and I’ve got to say, I really feel for them.  These boys are doing the best they can, but Job just discredits their every point because their lives are so cushy in comparison.  I can’t blame the guy, of course he’s miserable, but if I didn’t know how this story ends I’d be worrying that Job is about to ostracize every friend he has.  Have we learned nothing from SNL?  Nobody wants to hang with a Debbie Downer.
There are some awesome verses in these chapters.  My favorites are:
8:21 “He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy”
11:14-15 “… if you put away the sin that is in your hand and allow no evil to dwell in your tent, then, free of fault, you will lift up your face; you will stand firm and without fear…”

No comments: