Thursday, January 17, 2013

As A Matter of Fact... Genesis 16-18

The Bible can be so matter of fact.  It must have been really difficult putting this thing together. (Understatement!)  Case in point, "... Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her." (16:6) Is it because I'm a girl that I'm dying for more details?  I mean, how did she mistreat her?  What exactly went down?  God, no doubt knew it would definitely not advance his kingdom for me to know Sarai's less than fine moments.  Shame on me.

But don't you think Moses, David, Matthew, Paul, all these gentlemen recorders must have been dying to put in more details and clarifications every now and then?  They must have constantly been praying about what parts of each story (of history!) must be included and what we'll have to wait and find out from God himself.  I love that they allowed for some sarcasm (as we saw in Job) and some honest laughter: "Abraham fell facedown; he laughed..." (17:17) and later, "So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, 'After I am worn out an my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?'" (18:12)  There is little I love more than laughter in the Bible.

I also have to laugh when Sarah (God love her) tries lying to God, "I did not laugh" (can't you just picture her giant doe-y eyes?) and God matter of factly responds, "Yes, you did laugh."  Boom.  That's that Sarah!  I long for (gory? intimate? juicy?) details, but I do love the blunt conciseness that limited space necessitated. 

No comments: