Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Job 21-23

Today my girlfriend asked where I found the reading plan I'm using to guide me through the Bible chronologically.  The answer is BibleGateway.com.  I downloaded their app on my iPad and it's fantastic.  And free!  There are several plans to pick from, like the cover to cover plan (Genesis to Revelation), the 90 day plan (for the ambitious speed reader), and of course, the chronological plan that I'm using.  Once you pick a plan, there are a bajillion (if not more!) versions of the Bible to choose from (I'm reading from the NIV, mostly.)

I also love that the app allows for highlighting, taking notes, and offers various commentaries and definitions for virtually every chapter of the Bible (or the chapters I've read so far at least).  No doubt, I'll be mentioning some of those commentaries in future posts.

It's just about the handiest, dandiest app I've ever used (Stachematic* notwithstanding).  But is there anything lovelier than holding your Bible in your hands and underlining favorite verses with actual ink, turning the pages lovingly and gently because they're so fragile (but their words so tough!)  It doesn't matter, of course, whether you read on an iPad or from the family Bible; it doesn't even matter if you don't follow a reading plan or set out to read the whole Word.  The idea is just to get your face in the Bible!

My favorite verse from today's reading: "Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you.  Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your heart." (22:21-22)



*You can put moustaches on any picture!!  Hilarity!