Monday, January 21, 2013

Esau His Birthright Slip Away (Genesis 27-29)


Happy MLK day!  I saw this great quote of King's all over the place today: "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."  I was happy to move forward from the confusion of Abraham and Isaac and on to… the confusion of Esau and Jacob!
It’s a serious story, and had a huge effect on history, but there are parts of it that just make me giggle.  For one thing, I can totally identify with Esau because 1) He’s a redhead and 2) He does not think clearly when he’s hungry.  We all know not to go grocery shopping on an empty stomach, but let’s also remember not to hand over our birthright because we are famished!  (26:30-33) 

Fast forward to Isaac's deathbed, where Jacob and Rebekah are in cahoots.  I hope Isaac really let his wife and second-born have it when he figured things out.  These days of course, parents bless all their kids, and birthrights are virtually non-existent (in our culture at least).  When I hear, "But isn't there anything left for me?!" it's because someone ate the last cookie.  But this blessing was a big deal to Esau (and Isaac!) and frankly, I'm angry for him!  Of course, he let his temper get the best of him!  I can't get on board with the whole threatening his brother's life thing, but we know when Jacob returns, Esau welcomes him with open arms.  So I want to take this opportunity to give Esau his accolades.  It's no father's blessing, but props from a fellow redhead is all I have to give!

No comments: