Friday, February 22, 2013

Leaving Leviticus

Read Leviticus: check!
I finished the last couple chapters of Leviticus today.  This may be a bit after the fact, but Matthew Henry's Commentary explains Leviticus is made up of laws the Lord gave Moses in the first month of the second year of the Israelites liberation from Egypt.  Numbers is going to consist of the laws given in the second month.  But who's counting?

Chapter 27: Redeeming What Is the Lord's was interesting.  Again, MHC helped me out explaining, "This is part of the law concerning singular vows, extraordinary ones, which though God did not expressly insist on, yet.... he would be well pleased with.  Note, we should not only ask, 'what must we do?', but, 'what may we do, for the glory and honour of God?'"  In other words, "Ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do for your God."  Maybe JFK brushed up on his Leviticus before his inauguration address.  It certainly applies.  I ask God for stuff on the daily, but I can't think of a time I asked specifically and directly what I could do for him.

Inexplicably, chapter 26, verse 17 also reverberated with me: "I will set my face against you so that you will be defeated by your enemies; those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee even when no one is pursuing you."  It just put the fear of... well, God in me.  Imagine having God's face set against you!  It gives me the goosebumps.  And having enemies who hate me?  I'm crushed when someone has to honk at me when the light turns green.  And if I'm running?  It better be for a reason like fitting into my pants, and not for nothing!


No comments: