Thursday, February 14, 2013

Holy Lack of Loops (Lev. 5-7)

Leviticus.  You are closing loopholes today, you sneaky book.  What I'm hearing is, a sin is still a sin even if it's an accidental sin?!  Shoot.  And there is no statute of limitations apparently, so when I realize I screwed up I still have to own up and repent.  Ugh.  I have so much work to do.  Typically, I just figure it's too late for apologies (why dredge up the ugly past?!) and vow not to do said sin again.  Sunday my minister preached on making amends; he really made the point that it's never too late to do so (I was hoping he would say something like, "After six months you really don't have to worry about anyone you've wronged."  No such luck.)  I guess the same goes for all screw-ups.  At least according to Leviticus 5:2, 3, 4, 5, 15, 17 and 6:4.

Fortunately, I can just promise to ask forgiveness and then not go through the hassle of doing it, right?  Except Leviticus 5:4 warns against that too.  This isn't one that is just in the Old Testament either.  I remember James warning against taking oaths lightly: "Above all, my brothers, do not swear- not by heaven or by earth or by anything else.  Let your 'Yes' be yes, and your 'No,' no, or you will be condemned." (James 5:12).  So there's that.  No thoughtless promises.  This Bible is iron clad!  Which I absolutely adore about it.  It makes me nervous, but I love that it doesn't give me wiggle room on some issues, because on some issues?  If I can wiggle, I will.

Here is the link to my pastor's message.  Click on the 2/10/13 message, "Mending Relationships" if you have your druthers. 
http://www.dewittredeemer.org/podcast/podcast.html

No comments: