Monday, February 11, 2013

A Rose By Any Other Name (Exodus 36-38)

Today's reading is supposed to be Exodus 36-38, but I just have to jump back to yesterday's chapters.  Yesterday in Sunday school, my little four year olds and I talked about Jesus being our shepherd and knowing each of us by name.  I love that thought.  Maybe that is why Exodus 33 and 34 resonated with me.  Names are mentioned no fewer than five times.
33:12 "...'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.'"
33:17 "...'because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.'"
33:19 "...'I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence.'"
34:5 "Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord."
34:14 "Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."

These verses remind me how important names are.  I'm not great at remembering them, but even when I'm fairly certain, I'm nervous to call a person by their name.  What if I pronounce it wrong?  Or mess you up with your look-alike?  I could be (!!) embarrassed!  Or. Would it be so awful to just double check a name; just ask if I have it right?  Of course not. It lets a person know she is important to me.  Calling a person by name is validating.  So next time you see me, I should happily call you by name.  Only please forgive me if I pronounce it incorrectly or get it altogether wrong.  Of course if your name is "Jealous" that will probably stick with me.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Hi, Julie! It is Julie, right? I know so many redheads ... : )

Julie said...

Hellooo Carla!! I know that's hard when we all look the same! :)

Mary Reed said...

Hi J.u.l.i.e!:) This is a great post. You're right, names are so important to God and should be to us as well. When we use someone's name, they feel important and cared for... very important!
Thanks for coming by yesterday!
Blessings to you ~ Mary

Julie said...

Mary! I'm honored you stopped by! And you're lucky to be blessed with such a lovely name! :) Thank YOU!