Wednesday, April 3, 2013

From Egypt to China to Israel (Judges 1-12)

I admit it!  My face has not been in the Bible much lately!  Shame on me.  The good news is, I'm all caught up now.  And I just got back from our Spring Break vacation to tropical Indianapolis so I'm feeling relaxed, rejuvenated, and ready to blog!

We went to the Children's Museum while we were in Indy, and it was fantastic. They had an exhibit on Egypt that was very cool and informative, and included a replica of a mummy. Kids could slide this x-ray thing over the mummy to determine whether or not it was a regular Egyptian or a Pharaoh (it was a Pharaoh because its arms were crossed and it had an amulet on two fingers, among other clues). I wondered if Moses' nemesis was resting peacefully with his amulet. There was also a section on the first emperor of China. He wanted to rule even after his death, so he was buried with a complete army of clay soldiers. (There seem to be a lot flaws in this logic, but what do I know?!). All of these things just made me so thankful our eternity is secure and doesn't require spending this life making an immobile army.

Our God leads us to do amazing things in this life!  Just ask Deborah.  Or Gideon!  I love Gideon's story (far more than Ehud's or Jepthath's, which are important, but have some very disturbing parts).  G is the least of the least and so sweet with God, who he respectfully implies is crazy for choosing him as a leader: "Pardon me, my Lord, but...." (Judges 6 13 and 15).  Here's one of the verses I love most in his story: "If you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your servant Purah" (Judges 7:10). God knows us so well.  He didn't even wait for Gideon to voice his fears. I've said it before and I'll say it again: God gets humans!  He who has never felt fear, gets that we are scared.  Even though we're supposed to trust him and He's offended by our fear, he addresses it and just... gets us. And no number of amulets or fake soldiers can give us that.

No comments: