Sunday, April 28, 2013

Smooth Sailing (Psalm 81, Psalm 88, Psalm 92-93)

So. Much. Rain!  Yesterday was sunny and dry and served as a little reprieve from God, but He opened up the rainclouds again today!  It beats snow, surely, but I'm starting to worry I may have to get the ark out of storage.  Speaking of which, I didn't realize just how many rain and water references there were in the Bible!  Here are a couple examples, just from the few chapters I read today:

Psalm 81:7 "...I answered you out of a thundercloud; I tested you at the waters of Meribah..."
Psalm 88:17 "All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me."
Psalm 93:3-4 "They have lifted up, Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice;  the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.  Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea- the Lord on high is mighty."

No doubt about it- the Bible is filled with stories, metaphors, and similes about water.  There's no drowning or treading aimlessly and exhaustively in these waters though.  We are completely quenched by and buoyant in the loving, Living Water.

_______________________________________

Note: Between today and my last post on Wednesday here is what I've read according to Biblegateway.com's reading plan:
April 25: 1 Chronicles 3-5
April 26: Psalm 73, Psalm 77-78
April 27: 1 Chronicles 6

No comments: