Thursday, April 18, 2013

Singing Praises (Psalm 17, 35, 54, 63)

April has been a lousy month.  Between the rain and floods, bombings, explosions, threats, flu-bugs... I'm so over this month.  Just like I'm sure David was so over running for his life and hiding in caves.  I've been less than joyful these days, but trying to find silver lines.  When I can't find one my friends help, making points like, "At least you and the girls didn't have the flu at the same time!"  True!

Every day I have so much to thank God for, but my prayers these days are a bit grumbly, I admit.  Thankful, yes; but worshipful?  No.  Can anybody worship like David?  Even in this dark hour, when he was dealing with more than just a few hours of stomach flu, the guy is worshipping with a passion I reserve for something like my childrens' births!  Psalm 63 is great: "Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.  I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." (63:3-4).  Or how about verses 7 and 8?  "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.  I cling to you; your right hand upholds me."

As I beg God for mercy and justice, or thank Him for keeping our basement dry, or comfort for friends I know need it, or whatever big and little prayers I have, I hope I can remember to sing His praises too.  Worship is so much fun!  Why just reserve it for church?

No comments: