Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Love and Death (2 Sam. 1-4; Psalm 6, 8-10,14, 16, 19, 21; 1 Chronicles 1-2)

My husband is convinced I'm going to drive into a tree one of these days, swerving to miss a squirrel or bird or mole.  Or a leaf that looks like a mole.  I can't help it!  It's just instinct to swerve when something jets in front of my vehicle!  The other day the car in front of me hit a squirrel.  I saw it too late to swerve and well... i finished the first car's work.  I felt bad, but consoled myself knowing my giant SUV put the squirrel out of its misery in a hurry.  We don't like to see the dying suffer, do we?

David?  What's your take?

Oh?  You had a guy killed for putting Saul out of his misery?  Huh.  I'd hate to be a squirrel on my deathbed in front of your chariot (or whatever.  You know what I mean.)

Sadly, that wasn't the only time I got mad at David (and it won't be the last!)  My heart also broke for "the husband."  You know who I mean? Michal's other husband?  I know, David married her first and he was right to ask her to come along, but the other husband loves her!  He's so sad and pitiful: "Her husband, however, went with her, weeping behind her all the way to Bahurim..." (2 Sam. 3:16)  When I Googled David and Michal's love story I found this interesting blurb on ancienthistory.about.com:
"1 Samuel 18:20 says that Michal loved David, the only place in the Bible where a woman's love for a man is recorded, according to footnotes in The Jewish Study Bible. However, there is no biblical record of David having loved Michal, and the later story of their marriage seems to indicate that he didn't, even though some rabbinical interpretations dispute this, according to Jewish Women, an online encyclopedia."

Just one of many scandalous love stories in the Bible.  No wonder it's the world's bestseller year after year!

No comments: