Friday, April 12, 2013

Oh, Honey! (1 Samuel 13-17)

Bomjour!  I noticed there are several people in France reading Face In The Bible, which thrills me to no end!  Sadly, I've forgotten beacoup of what I learned in my four years of high school French.  Maybe I can visit my new French friends and brush up a bit?! :)

I'm so pumped we're getting into David's story now.  I'm quite certain if I were a little Israelite village girl, I would have had quite the crush on David.  Jonathan too, for that matter.  Such nice, handsome gentlemen (that is, I imagine Jonathan was, the Bible doesn't specify that.  But aren't all young princes handsome?  I believe so.)  There is so much to say about David, but I've just got to note a couple other things first.

First, let's talk about Jonathan's honey tasting fiasco.  1 Samuel 14:27 tells us "Jonathan had not heard that his father had bound the people with the oath..." so he ate the honey.  Later, his dad determines his son sinned and was ready to kill him.  I have to believe God does not work this way.  Wouldn't that be a dream come true for Satan?  If he could swoop in and claim us every time we screwed up even when we didn't know we screwed up?  Instead Jesus acts as the Israelite men did for Jonathan (14:45).  He speaks up for us and rescues us so we are not put to death.  Such a Savior.

The other verse that struck me was 15:22.  Samuel points out our offerings mean nothing if we aren't obedient.  Darn it.  That makes things a little trickier, doesn't it?  It means there can't be any of this, "I can behave however I want, because I give so much money/time/whatever to the church."  God doesn't buy it.  And we can't buy Him.  Let's be honest, he doesn't need our sacrifices, he needs our obedience. 

No comments: