Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Call Me Orpah (Ruth 1- Sam. 8)


Oh my!  We’re zipping through the Old Testament now!  Since my last post, we finished the whole book of Ruth and are knee-deep in 1 Samuel! 
The summer before last, I did a Bible study on the book of Ruth with a couple friends.  It was written by the adorable Kelly Minter and was entitled Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy.  And that about sums up the book of Ruth!  On to Samuel!
Just kidding.  One of the things that struck me most about this story is Orpah’s decision to stay in Moab, while Ruth left with Naomi.  Because she did what I am (sadly) sure I would do too.  I would try once or twice to do the right thing, but cave when someone assures me I have their blessing to do otherwise.  For instance, Orpah tries to tell Naomi she is going back to Judah with her.  Naomi insists she should stay in Moab with her people, so finally Orpah relents and “…kissed her mother-in-law goodbye, but Ruth clung to her” (Ruth 1:14).  Obviously Ruth made the right choice since she’s the one with a book of the Bible named after her. 
Just call me Orpah.  I might be able to resist a second piece of pie once or twice, but eventually I break down.  If I have to make an uncomfortable call and the person doesn’t answer?  Well, I tried!  So many times I am guilty of trying juuuuust hard enough that God can see I made an effort, but then not following the path He clearly wants me to take.  And that?  Is why Ruth gets to be a descendant of Jesus and Orpah is never heard from again.

No comments: