Friday, November 1, 2013

Two By Two? Or Not!

Was Noah the first one out of the Ark?
No, he came fourth out of the ark

A little Friday funny for you!  Appropriate because yesterday my friend asked me how many of each animal Noah took with him on the ark.  When I was little the big trick was to ask, "How many commandments did God give Noah?" and of course the sneaky answer is ZERO because he gave the commandments to Moses.  Remembering this, I answered cautiously, "two?  Yes, two of each animal."  And I was wrong!  She pointed out Genesis 7:2-3.

Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

How did I miss that?!  There were actually fourteen of the clean animals!  It seems like I should know that.  I am both anxious and thrilled about this revelation.  What other obvious points am I missing?  Until yesterday I may have argued I knew "Noah's Ark" better than any other story in the Bible.  Wrong!  On the other hand?  How cool that the Bible is always the same, yet always different.  God just reveals fabulous little tidbits to us every now and then as He sees fit.  Brilliant.  So next year when we're reading the Bible who knows what we will glean?!  So much to look forward to!  No joke!


3 comments:

Heidi's Wanderings said...

It is strange how much we miss when we read the Bible isn't it? And then one day we suddenly see something we've never seen before. Hope you have a great day!


Heidi’s Wanderings

Anonymous said...

What do you know! All those nursery drawings are wrong ... next thing I know you're going to tell us there weren't three wise men. : )

Wanda said...

That's the great thing about God's Word we never know it all. There is always more to learn.