Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Rich Guy

Let's hear it for Daylight Savings Time!  What did you do with your extra hour?  I'm not going to lie, I napped.   But only for a half hour, so I figure I'm still 30 minutes in the black!  In other exciting weekend news, Michigan State beat the University of Michigan yesterday!  My husband is a student at MSU, so these things are important to me now.  I have to say, I especially like buying cute MSU apparel.  And the winning is fun too!

The past few days, I've been reading the same few parables and stories in each book of the Gospel.  I just had to note the Rich and the Kingdom of God story.  This one used to make me so uncomfortable (actually, it still does.) but I caught a phrase this time in Mark's telling that I just adore.  A man is asking Jesus how he can "inherit eternal life."  Jesus explains he must keep the commandments; when the man says he has kept the commandments his whole life, "Jesus looked at him and loved him...."  (Mark 10:21)

He loved him!  I liken this to my baby trying to properly buckle her car seat.  She's so darling to try, and I love her ambition, but I just look at her lovingly, thinking, "Sweet girl.  You can't do this without me.  I love that you're trying, I always want you to try, but you'll never get it on your own!"  I hope this dear man didn't completely lose hope, I hope he kept doing his very best; but if everything went horribly downhill for the rest of his life, Jesus had looked at him and loved him.  And that was worth more than all the riches he could ever have.

No comments: