Monday, November 11, 2013

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

First order of business: if you are a veteran reading this, thank you.  It's trite but true; I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  That goes for you too, active soldiers!  I hope you are blessed beyond measure in this life and the next.

Secondly, it is snowing, people.  Actual flakes that are sticking to the ground.  My kids are delighted and played outside all afternoon.  As for me?  I'm cold.

Thirdly, I am in the thick of the Gospel now.  Things are heating up politically and that means Jesus is on the hot seat.  Who would handle this so gracefully?  How could anyone doubt his holiness when it could only be supernatural grace keeping him calm and peaceful and loving even as he is scared beyond what we can comprehend.  One of Jesus' dearest friends is about to hand him over to be brutally murdered and he's speaking of... love?  Friendship? 

I love John 15:15: "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."  Don't you feel like a VIP?  Like a big flipping deal?  I mean, how's that for name dropping at a party?  "Your cousin went to kindergarten with K-Stew?  How cool.  I'm only BFFs with the Savior of the WORLD." 

We know what is coming next.  Jesus knew what was coming next.  The disciples seemed to be in a bit of denial about what was coming next.  But there is no denying Jesus is the best friend we'll ever have.

No comments: