Sunday, October 13, 2013

Words of Wisdom

Happy Sunday!  It could not have been a more beautiful fall day here!  We celebrated by going to church, making pumpkin pies, playing outside, and visiting neighbors.  I read my Bible passage aloud to my four year old while we snuggled on the couch, as my baby yelled from her crib and fought her nap.  It was almost ideal.  I hope your Sunday was just as lovely.

My pastor spoke a great word today (you can hear it here); he briefly mentioned getting to know a seemingly unlikeable person better and better until... surprise!  You actually like him!  My mom quotes Abraham Lincoln all the time, "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."  In high school it was so annoying because, "Ugh!  Mom!  Are you even listening?  It's a SHE!  Totally different.  You don't get it at all!" (door slam)  I'm reminded of my mom's wisdom (oh, and Abraham Lincoln's) when I read these words from the wisest one of all:

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?  Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others?  Do not even pagans do that? (Matt. 5:46-47)

It's so much more fun to hang with people we love... and important too!  I'm certainly not about to ditch my besties!  It's so hard to love people who don't seem to appreciate our efforts!  And even harder to love people who are downright nasty!  But it turns out Honest Abe was on to something (and you too, Mama).  Usually if I spend a little time with a person?  I end up liking her in spite of myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Post. Keep em coming. A great quote from Honest Abe. Have you seen Lincoln Vampire Hunter? I had no idea his son actually died of a Vampire bite rather than from typhoid fever?

- Russell

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

That's amazing. I can't believe the stuff our history books got wrong. I bet WWI actually came after WWII too!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA I wouldn't doubt it. I also believe Chris Columbus actually sailed off the end of the flat earth!

-RBL