Monday, October 21, 2013

A Big "If"

If you know me in real life you've probably heard me say I need a prayer thesaurus.  If God were less godly, he would want to smack me with a holy frying pan every time I rev up for a prayer.  Because I use the same phrases, terms, and general vocabulary every time I pray.  And one of my regular faux pas is highlighted in Mark 9 when a boy's father is asks Jesus to drive out a demon.  Verse 22 reads, "... But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

If you can do anything?  Puh-lease.  That guy may not have known the extent of Jesus' power, but I have no such excuse!  My prayers for pity and mercy usually go something like, "if you could blah, blah, blah... wait! Wait! Sorry, there I go again!  Of COURSE you can!  Aughhh!  You know what I meant right?!  Let me try again...."

Do you ever pray like that?  Say something so inane to God?  On  the other hand, I'm not lamely offering to burn down a Samaritan village, James and John!  (Just kidding boys, you did good work here.)

I hope your Monday was lovely and your evening is full of eloquent prayers!

No comments: