Wednesday, October 9, 2013

All You Can Eat God

The other day I drove past a local restaurant that had a sign out front: "All you can eat GOD."  Just kidding.  It was actually, "All you can eat COD." But before reason caught up with my eyesight, I thought it was the former!  Wouldn't the Gospel make the most magical buffet?  It's all you can eat, and every time you go for more the dishes are the same, but constantly fresh and sometimes containing a yummy new flavor.

This analogy is making me hungry, so let me make my point.  I've read the Gospel lots of times before, but I still learn something new every time I crack it open.  In my last post I mentioned John the Baptist making straight the way for the Lord- that bit wasn't a blip on my radar in the past!  Jesus' wine-making miracle at the wedding isn't at all what I remember!  I forgot Matthew was originally Levi and how very much I love that he was a tax collector turned full-time disciple.  In fact, his conversion leads to one of my favorite verses: “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have come not to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2:17). 

This works both ways.  Every now and then I come across a verse I underlined before and stare at it wondering why it's important.  I don't ink up my Bible willy-nilly, so I know these words were critical to me at one time in my life, they just aren't quite as relevant right now.  No doubt I'll come back to those underlined verses one day and they'll bring me to my knees.

New stuff every time.  Delicious, filling, fresh, can't-find-it-anywhere-else food for the soul.  And we can gobble it up without ever having to unbutton our pants.

No comments: