Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Jesus Loves the Little Children

I love love love when Jesus talks about the little children.  I love Jesus all the time, but it's times like Matthew 18:2 when I like him best.  He seems softer to me in these moments, (yes, even as he speaks about gouging out eyes) and so... approachable.  This is my Jesus.  This is my guy.  Then he gives me a totally doable tip: "...change and become like little children..." 

What?!  Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!  I'm so childish it would blow your mind!  Silly rhymes?  Check.  Laughing at inappropriate noises?  Check.  Wanting my Mommy?  Double check.  Let the grown-ups have their weird sushi, I'll take a grilled cheese!  Why play Bunco when Candyland is available?!  I watched Wizards of Waverly Place into my 30s for crying out loud!! 

Hm?  What?  That's not exactly what Jesus meant?  That's not at all what he meant?  Well.  I'll keep working on my childlike skills, but in the meantime I'm going to continue to cling to Christ's gentle words from Matthew: "Beware that you don't look down upon a single one of these little children.  For I tell you in heaven their angels have constant access to my Father." (Matt. 18:10)  I love it.  And I believe with all my heart the angels are enjoying a grilled cheese sandwich with our Maker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this entry. They say "with age comes wisdom" but I think we can learn just as much from the babies. Molly, for example, is one of my role models, she loves ever aspect of life!

- RBL