Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Suddenly I Seed

Let’s hear it for the seedy parables!  As a Sunday School teacher to four year olds, I hear about seeds a lot.  Often, these little kiddos leave our classroom and I’m certain nothing more than glitter and feathers stuck to them- not our Bible verse, and definitely not the talking points I give them to discuss with their parents.  So I really, really depend on the truth of the seed parables. Because if I’m not planting seeds in these precious little preschoolers than what the heck?  For the sake of my sanity I can’t believe it’s all for naught!
And on this I’m right.  It’s not for nothing, Sunday School teachers! Parents! Seed planters everywhere!  Rejoice!  Jesus Christ backs us up!  History backs us up!  Jesus explains, "… like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds on earth. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds can perch in its shade.”  (Mark 4:31-32)  Our seeds will become mighty oaks!  Lovely fields of mustard!  And if His words aren’t enough, look to your own experience.  I remember specific people planting seeds in me, don’t you?  And look how awesome you turned out!
Kids aren’t the only ones who need seeds, as you know.  New believers and non-believers and life-long Christians all need a seed.  We are commissioned to plant seeds in others and cultivate the ones planted in us.  We need seed!
 
A teeny, tiny mustard seed.

A massive mustard field that is beautiful and productive.


No comments: