Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gems From Deuteronomy (Deut. 3-7)

Deuteronomy pleasantly surprised me yesterday, and again today!  There are such shiny little gems in these decrees and laws that Moses is reviewing.  I know sometimes it can be dangerous to take verses out of biblical context, but there was much in these chapters that I can apply to my life.  I love it when that happens- it's like the Bible was written for me! :)

One of my favorite verses from these past couple days was 4:7.  "What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?"  As you may know I'm in the middle of a study by Priscilla Shirer.  In one of her videos she describes a Buddhist temple in which followers have to climb one hundred plus stairs just to pray. She gives thanks to have a God who comes down to her.  God's accessibility is this amazing drink we can gulp up at the slightest hint of thirst.  And this verse was written pre-Jesus!  If God was accessible before?  He lives inside us now!  Talk about accessibility!

Chapter 6, verses 6-9 is a great famous-for-good-reason bit of the OT.  Today we'd look crazy with words tied to our hands and bound on our forehead... or would we?



I'm not suggesting we all run out and get tattoos, but I have to say, I like the sentiment.  I like that it that was so important to the Israelites to keep God at the front of their minds, that they made it impossible to forget Him or His Word.

Here are a couple other verses from these chapters that resonated with me:
4:9  "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them."

6:10-12  "When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers... a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

No comments: