Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Big Curse, Little Curse, Red Curse, Blue Curse (Numbers 23-25)

It was Dr. Seuss' birthday on Saturday!  Oddly, he came to mind when I was reading Numbers 23 today.  Balak said, "Will you curse them over here?  Will you curse them over there?"  "No!" cried Balaam, "I will not curse them in a box, I will not curse them with a fox!  I will not curse these Israelites here or there or anywhere!"  Or something like that.

To tell the truth I could sort of understand Balak's frustration. Is there anything more maddening than when you're describing an injustice to a friend and she refuses to take part?!  The nerve!  Or maybe you're describing to your spouse the person who honked angrily when you clearly had the right of way, and your spouse instead explains why the honker had the right of way?  Don't you want to scream, "Just curse him with me!!!"  I imagine that was how Balak felt.  Of course Balaam was still in the right here and I'm happy for him- way to stick to your guns Balaam!  In fact, I could learn a thing or two from him.  I especially liked chapter 23, verse 8: "How can I curse those whom God has not cursed?  How can I denounce those whom the Lord has not denounced?" 

More truth from Numbers.  Which, come to think of it, sounds like it could also be the title of a Dr. Seuss book.

No comments: