Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Infamous Psalm 23

Slowly but surely I'm catching up!  There are so many possible blog posts when your topic is the vast and always eye-opening Word of God.  It's hard to decide what to write about on any given day.  But I simply cannot skip over Psalm 23 and not say a word or two about it.

Psalm 23 has a lot of negative emotion linked to it because it's so often read at funerals.  But I actually didn't know that when I first studied the verse in sixth grade; I thought it was just lovely, and still do.  It's peaceful, calm, true, comforting... all positive adjectives even though the chapter does dredge up memories of various funerals for me now.  I love the visions of green pastures, the quiet waters, the idea that I have not a thing to be afraid of.  God is expecting me in His holy home to eat (!!! Ohmygosh, I bet that food is... well- heavenly!), and my cup does overflow!  There is so much to love in these verses. 

While teaching us about Psalm 23, my sixth grade teacher also recommended a book to us that I read  and have to pass on to you.  It's certainly not a light read, so if you're looking for something fluffy to take to the beach, I have plenty of other recommendations.  In the Presence of Mine Enemies (by Howard and Phyllis Rutledge) is a hard-to-stomach, but important book for patriots and Christians.  It's been years and years since I read it, but if you get your hands on it, you have to drop me a line and tell me what you think!


~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still catching up!  Since my last post, I've read:
2 Samuel 8-9, 1 Chronicles 18
Psalm 50, 53, 60, 752 Samuel 10, 1 Chronicles 19, Psalm 20

No comments: