Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Can I Buy A Vow?

Sometimes I have Duck Dynasty on when I'm reading my Bible and blogging. I just do.  Today I had it on as I started Psalm 65.  It was the episode in which Jase and his wife buys his third wedding ring and not one day later, Jase loses it while duck hunting.  I empathized because my loving husband is also on his third wedding band.  He's due to lose it any day now.  My point is, the very first verse I read is, "Praise awaits you, our God, in Zion; to you our vows will be fulfilled."  !!!  Vows!  Wedding bands!  Is God speaking to me via Duck Dynasty?!

Just kidding.  He certainly is not.  But my eye was drawn to the vow bit.  The word pops up again in Psalm 66: 13-14.  "I will come to your temple with burnt offerings and fulfill my vows to you- vows my lips promised and my mouth spoke when I was in trouble."  The Duck Dynasty episode was nothing more than coincidence, but God really was putting these verses in bold for me.  And it's because I have unfulfilled vows.

The month of April was a horrible one and I prayed a lot of promises to God to get me through that month.  Now it's time to pay up.  I've made promises to God before, but I tend to go back on my word when the trouble passes.  I usually explain to myself that God doesn't accept bribes- my promises meant nothing to Him.  I'm a big wimp, I know.  That's so awful.  Not this time, though.  I'll be paying up.  I can't tell myself this is a bribe- this is a token of appreciation for pulling me through some hard days.  It's the least I can do, because I appreciate his grace so much.  I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I read:
Psalm 65-67, Psalm 69-70
2 Samuel 11-12, 1 Chronicles 20 

No comments: