Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chubby Tuesday

Fat Tuesday sounds so rude!  I'd like to make a motion that we politely change "Fat" Tuesday to Plump Tuesday?  Curvy Tuesday?  Water Weight Tuesday?  Whatever we call it, today is the eve of the Lenten season. 

It's only been the last couple years that Lent has meant anything to me.  Truth be told, I mostly thought Lent was a Catholic thing that had something to do with McDonalds putting the Fish Fillet back on the menu.  I'd give up pop or chocolate so I could appropriately agonize with my Catholic friends suffering through their forty days of living without.  Then, I moved away from my very Catholic hometown and Lent followed!  It turns out Lent is for everyone!

And "everyone" is making a move.  More and more I get the feeling from believers that they (we!) want Lent to mean something.  We want to glorify God during Lent.  And I'm here to tell you that when I give up pop?  I un-glorify God.  Same thing when I give up chocolate.  I become a person who de-honors Him through my extreme crabbiness.  I know my Savior, and He and I have an understanding now about caffeine and dessert. 

Many people are finding happier alternatives these days: spending more time with their faces in the Bible for instance, increasing their charitable giving for these weeks, doing random acts of kindness.  I love it.  Of course, there is a lot to be said for giving up something that is prohibiting you from growing in your relationship with Christ.  So this year I'm going to intentionally move something out of my life to make more room for Jesus.  And that something?  Is not carbonated.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I hope it's not blogging! : )